End your day on a sweet note with these chicken-and-peach kabobs brushed with a honeyed citrus glaze.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 to 15 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded, cut into 16 (1/2-inch) pieces
- 2 large ripe but firm peaches, cut into 16 (1-inch) wedges
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 16 (1 1/2-inch) squares
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
FOR THE ORANGE GLAZE:
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- Lightly spray the grill rack with cooking spray. Preheat the grill on medium.
- Meanwhile, thread the chicken, peaches, and bell pepper alternately onto four 14- to 15-inch metal skewers. Sprinkle the pepper and salt over the kabobs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients. Set aside half the glaze (about 2 tablespoons). Brush both sides of the kabobs with the remaining glaze.
- Grill the kabobs for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the vegetables are almost tender, turning once halfway through and brushing with the reserved 2 tablespoons of glaze, using a clean basting brush. Reduce the heat or move the kabobs to a cooler area of the grill if they are cooking too fast.
COOK'S TIP: Ripe but firm peaches are important for this recipe. The direct heat softens and sweetens the fruit, even if it's not quite at its prime.
HEALTHY SWAP: You can replace the peaches with other stone fruits, such as nectarines and plums.
Makes 4 servings; 1 kabob per serving
PER SERVING: Calories 202; Total Fat 5.0 g; Saturated Fat 1.0 g; Trans Fat 0.0 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g; Monounsaturated Fat 2.0 g; Cholesterol 73 mg; Sodium 206 mg; Carbohydrates 14 g; Fiber 2 g; Sugars 11 g; Protein 25 g
DIETARY EXCHANGES: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat