This is a great dish to cook on those colder nights when you want a warm and hearty meal. Sweet potatoes are chock full of minerals and vitamins, making them a fabulous and healthy starch alternative.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes OR 45 oz. canned, unsweetened yams or sweet potatoes in water, rinsed
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 medium onion (any color), chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color), seeded, chopped
- 1 lb. extra-lean, fat-free, ground turkey (95%-99% lean)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or basil
- 16 oz frozen vegetable medley (like green beans, corn, and peas) thawed
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Add to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until potatoes are very tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Return sweet potatoes to pot. Add milk, cinnamon or nutmeg. Mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth.
- Spray large pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and bell pepper and cook over medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add meat and thyme, cooking until done, about 5 more minutes.
- Add vegetables, beef broth and cornstarch, stirring to combine. Cook a few minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add beef mixture into an 8- or 9-inch baking dish. Spread the sweet potatoes evenly on top of the beef and vegetables. Cook in oven until entirely heated, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 352; Total Fat 6.5g; Cholesterol 63mg; Sodium 196mg; Total Carbohydrates 46g; Protein 31g