6 servings; Serving size: 1 tortilla with scant 1 cup filling, 1/3 cup cabbage & 2 Tbsp. cheese
Per serving: 415 calories; 12 g fat(4 g sat); 7 g fiber; 38 g carbohydrates; 39 g protein; 57 mcg folate; 107 mg cholesterol; 4 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 285 IU vitamin A; 12 mg vitamin C; 205 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 712 mg sodium; 449 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (31% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 6 10-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas or wraps, warmed (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey or pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cumin and chile powder and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and lime juice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the onions are very soft, 16 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in turkey (or chicken) and beans and continue cooking until the mixture is heated through, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Divide the turkey-bean mixture among tortillas (or wraps).
- Top each with cheese and cabbage, roll into burritos and serve.
To warm tortillas: Wrap in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, or wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.