Active time: 15 minutes; Total time: 20 minutes; Yield: Serves 6
Grilled Avocado Salad
- 3 firm, ripe avocados, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 limes), divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 12 ounces multicolored cherry tomatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup Pickled Red Onions (see recipe below)
How to Make It:
- Preheat grill to medium (350°F to 400°F).
- Brush avocado halves evenly with 1 tablespoon each of the oil and lime juice. Sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Grill, cut side down, uncovered, until edges begin to char, 5 to 7 minutes. Carefully remove from grill; set aside.
- Toss together tomatoes, cilantro, and remaining 2 tablespoons each oil and lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Place avocado halves, cut side up, on a platter. Top evenly with tomato mixture, Cotija, and Pickled Red Onions.
Pickled Red Onions
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
How to Make It:
- Place a small skillet over medium-high heat until hot; add coriander and mustard seeds, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water; place onion in bowl. Soak 20 minutes. Drain; pat dry. Return onion to bowl.
- Bring red wine vinegar and next 4 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour over onion. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in seeds and remaining ingredients. Store in an airtight jar in refrigerator until ready to use.
Recipe from Coastal Living